ARTIST BOOKS: CONCEPT TO EXHIBITION
This course is designed as an introduction to Artist Books and their growing significance in the field of art, and publishing practices. In the course, we will develop ideas on how to transform concepts, artworks and texts into books. The course will include lectures, presentations, exploration of materials and techniques. At the end of the course, we will think together about ways of presenting these books, especially in an exhibition format.
Dates: 13.4.–29.4.2021/ Tuesday and Thursday
Sessions: 5 + 1 exhibition (29.4.2021)
Teacher: Vidha Saumya
Place: Sessions on Zoom and exhibition at MAA-tila Project Space
Cost: 90 euros
- Creative Writing for the Artist Books: How to write for making artist books. Taking advantage of prompt-based writing to develop creative expressions for making artist books through the written word.
- Introduction to Self Publishing: An introduction to the artist books through printing techniques, bookbinding methods, using text, selecting images to understand influences and origins, contemporary practice, and critical considerations.
- Materials and Techniques: Analysis and description of artist books and their components such as paper, binding methods printing techniques. Finding resonances into one’s own choice of materials and art practice.
- Computer Graphics: A brief introduction to Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, how to use them to combine text and image; digital manipulations and preparing digital files for desktop publishing or press printing.
- Understanding the Field and preparing books for an exhibition: Understanding the field of artist books through the lenses of fine art, craft, and book history: readings, observational analyses, hands-on exercises, and material research. Thinking about the book as a form for artistic expression; conceptual development; relationship between content, form, and structure; how a book’s structure and design can enhance and integrate part of the work’s meaning.
- Final presentation as an exhibition: Participants present the books they have made and present ways in which the book is viewed in an exhibition space.
Vidha Saumya is an artist-poet based in Helsinki and is currently working on the project Paper, pulp, words, books: recipes for counterculture rebellion. She is the co-founder and co-editor of the online art magazine NO NIIN, and a founding member of the Museum of Impossible Forms.