Studying in the day programme is full-time. It consists of study periods, lectures, workshops and projects. The studies also include periods of individual working, when the students can best develop their own individual expression in guidance of a teacher. On the fourth, optional study year the student can choose another mentor as well as having the common course teacher. Depending on the economic possibilities of the school, also on the third year students can choose an individual mentor.
The lectures are dealing with history of art as well as actual topics. Also the school pays the entrance ticket to students wishing to participate in performances and events of various art disciplines (for example the events of ZODIAK – Centre for New Dance and Museum of Contemporary Art Kiasma).
Students in the day programme, which is full-time studies, are eligible to the government’s study grant. The students are also granted travel-discounts as well as discount in several art material shops and museums. Once the student has successfully passed three study years, he/she is granted the graduation diploma. Once having received the diploma, the students can apply for a candidate membership in the Finnish artists’ associations. One can continue with studies on the fourth, optional study year, which is also entitled to the Finnish government’s study grant.
The session fee on the day programme is 1155 euros. In addition to this, in the beginning of the first semester one has to pay a registration fee of 85 euros. The semester fee on the fourth year is 315 euros, during which the student receives guidance from the common as well as an individual mentor of his/her preference. Students provide themselves the materials needed on the courses.
Summary of the study goals and educational foundations of the three years’ day programme in Art School MAA, preparing for artist’s profession:
- The student familiarizes him/herself with different working methods in visual arts and explores them. Methods here mean, for example: observation, drawing, painting, photography, video, performance, project-based art.
- The student has the ability to create art works of various kinds and an ability to present his/her working and art works / projects to others.
- The student has the basic knowledge and understanding of the context of contemporary art as well as of the cultural field in a broader sense.
- The student has the ability to communicate and articulate his/her ideas verbally and in writing (seminar days, study circles and textual presentation).
- The student has practical information of operation in the professional art field (artist’s taxation, artist grants, artist unions, exhibiting in galleries, compiling a portfolio, making a website, production of project based art).
In the education, focus is also given to the fact that artist should be aware of why and to whom he/she is making art and to understand how contemporary culture operates, when art is being produced and curated.
In the future language skills will be emphasized to a greater extent in the education scheme of Art School MAA. The aim is that part of the courses will be taught in English language, acknowledging the fact that, through the shift in the art field to increasingly international, English language has become an essential skill in operating in it.
Teachers in the day programme, along the principal Bo ”Isse” Karsten, are Panos Balomenos, Lora Dimova, Emma Fält, Ursula Hallas, Saara Hannula, Saara Hannus, Jukka Hautamäki, Minna Henriksson, Martti Jämsä, Shinji Kanki, Essi Kausalainen, Karolina Kucia, Mikko Kuorinki, Anni Laakso, Maija Mustonen, Tero Nauha, Pekka Niskanen, Joakim Pusenius, Minna Pöllänen, Seppo Rehnvall, Sepideh Sadatizarrini, Martta Tuomaala and Kari Yli-Annala.
Entrance procedure is the following every spring: first you fill in your information on the application form. When we receive your application we´ll send you the preliminary works to be done and sent to us. On the basis of the preliminary works we will invite prospective students for an interview. On the basis of preliminary works and the interview we will make the final decision of the students entering the first year course.
Next time you can apply is spring 2017 for the course starting the fall 2017.
Registration and additional information:
www.taidekoulumaa.fi, tel. (09) 668 102, email@example.com