Studying in the Day Programme is full-time. It consists of study periods, lectures, workshops and projects. The studies also include periods of individual work, when students can best develop their own individual expression in guidance of a teacher. On the fourth, optional study year the student can choose a mentor in addition to taking part in the regular teaching.
The lectures consider art history from different angles well as contemporary topics, practices and phenomena. The school supports students wishing to participate in performances and events of various art disciplines (for example, museum visits and contemporary art events in venues such as ZODIAK – Centre for New Dance and Madhouse Helsinki).
Students in the day programme are eligible for the government’s study grant. The students are also granted travel discounts as well as discounts in several art supply stores and museums. Once the student has successfully finished their studies , they are granted the graduation diploma. Having received the diploma, the students can apply for membership in Finnish artists’ associations. One can continue with studies on the fourth, optional study year, during which the student is also entitled to the Finnish government’s study grant.
The annual fee for the day programme is 1155 euros. In addition to this, in the beginning of the first semester there is a registration fee of 85 euros. The semester fee for the fourth year is 315 euros, during which the student receives guidance from the teachers as well as an individual mentor of their preference. Students provide themselves the materials needed for the courses.
Summary of the study goals and educational foundations of the three-year Day Programme in Art School MAA, preparing for the profession of an artist:
- The student familiarises themselves with different working methods in the contemporary arts and experiments with them. Methods mean, for example, observation, drawing, painting, photography, video, performance, and project-based art.
- The student has the ability to create art works of various kinds and an ability to present their work and art works/ projects to others.
- The student has basic knowledge and understanding of the context of contemporary art as well as of the cultural field in a broader sense.
- The student has the ability to communicate and articulate their ideas verbally and in writing (seminar days, study circles and textual presentations).
- The student has practical information on operation in the professional art field (artist’s taxation, artist grants, artist unions, exhibiting in galleries, compiling a portfolio, making a website, producing project-based art).
In the studies, focus is also given to the fact that artist should be aware of why and to whom they are making art and to understand how contemporary culture operates when art is being produced and curated.
In the future, language skills will be emphasised to a greater extent in the curriculum of Art School Maa. Our aim is that part of the courses will be taught in English , acknowledging the fact that, through the shift in the art field to increasingly international, English language has become an essential skill in operating in it. We encourage applicants
Teachers in the Day Programme include, Minna Henriksson, Warda Ahmed, Ahmed Al-Nawas, Panos Balomenos, Emma Fält, Ursula Hallas, Saara Hannus, Eija Keskinen, Mikko Kuorinki, Anni Laakso, Lintu Lindfros, , Jesse Matilainen, Pekka Niskanen, Egle Oddo, H Ouramo, Joakim Pusenius, Minna Pöllänen, Martta Tuomaala and Kari Yli-Annala.
The entrance procedure is the following every spring: first you fill in your information on the application form. When we receive your application we’ll send you the preliminary tasks to be done and sent to us. On the basis of the preliminary tasks, we invite prospective students for an interview. On the basis of preliminary tasks and the interview we will make the final decisions of the students entering the first year course.
The next application period is in spring 2022 for the course starting in autumn 2022.
You can apply for the Art School MAA Day Programme (108 credits) by registering in advance on our website. The application schedule for 2022 is as follows:
• registration opens on 10 January 2022
• registration ends on 10 April 2022
• Preliminary entrance exam assignments must be mailed no later than 14 April 2022
• Invitations to the interview will be sent no later than 25 April 2022
• Applicants will be interviewed from 10 to 11 May 2022
• selections will be announced week 20
Registration and additional information:
www.taidekoulumaa.fi, tel. (041) 319 5992, koulu (at) taidekoulumaa.fi